Struggle with persistent pain? Chronic Pain? Fatigue?
Pain coaching can help you make the changes you would like to see and learn to live well again. Unity Physiotherapy’s pain coaching service combines physiotherapy for people living with pain and coaching. The aims of pain coaching are to reduce suffering and change pain through understanding and strategies that empower you to create wellness, achieve your goals, do what you love, and move with more ease. Pain coaching aims to empower you to to take the steps towards what you would like to achieve. We focus on decreasing suffering, your values based goals, what’s meaningful to you, and creating wellness.
Ann believes in treating the whole person and understands the importance of your story. So, most importantly, you can guarantee your story will always be compassionately heard. Ann is interested in you and how we can change your suffering and your struggle with pain and empower you to live well again.
Through tailoring pain coaching to meet individual needs Ann has helped many people with pain. Ann has learnt to live well despite pain and you can too. When we use the pain coaching model to explore the contributing factors to how things are, along with what strategies and healthy habit changes are best for you, change is always possible. We work together to help you make changes and create wellness.
‘Empowering you to move, do what you love & live well’
Unity Physiotherapy’s Pain Coaching service aims to empower you to achieve your goals, move with more ease, do what you love, and live well in the long-term. We will explore what healthy habits are best for you, what creates and nurtures wellness, skills and strategies you can use to work towards your goals and living well. All of this helps you to be your best self every day. Creating optimal health and wellbeing is a daily habit and takes understanding, commitment and practice.
‘Connect, calm, create’ has become a sort of mantra at Unity Physiotherapy & Wellbeing. It evolved from a flash of inspiration when Ann was writing her book. Connection to ourselves and others is crucial for our wellbeing. We need to balance the busyness of modern society, which can overstimulate our threat systems, with calmness. As well, there is always a need to calm the nervous system and body when pain persists. Although we are the only ones who can create wellness and what we are aiming for, support helps us when we need it and often starts us on a different path.
Wherever you live you can see Ann as she offers pain coaching via Skype or Zoom. So if you are unable to get to clinic and don’t live locally enough for a home visit you can still work with Ann to make the changes you would like to see and change your struggle with pain and/or fatigue.
What to expect
After initial assessment, where the aim is to understand you and the problems you are having and set some values aligned goals, we create a tailored treatment programme together. This commonly includes:
- Understanding pain in a way that helps you navigate towards living well again.
- Exploring your values & ensuring these are aligned with your goals.
- Strategies to acknowledge & unhook from unhelpful thoughts and feelings without pushing them away.
- Building exercise tolerance, which commonly includes cardiovascular, flexibility and strength based exercises.
- Graded activity (gradually building tolerance to the activities that you need, want & love to do).
- Gentle hands on treatment may be included to help clam down sensitivity.
- Mindful based practices to help build awareness, psychological flexibility and calm your nervous system & body.
- Imagery/visualisation practices to help calm your nervous system and build efficient movement patterns. (Imagining movement using the same neural pathways as physical movement does).
- Breathing practices to help calm your nervous system and understand how breathing easily changes your physiological state.
- Looking at what lifestyle changes could be helpful for you.
- Looking at what can hep you get enough good quality sleep.
There is more information on physiotherapy for persistent pain here https://www.unityphysio.co.uk/services/persistent-pain/and more information on wellbeing coaching here https://www.unityphysio.co.uk/services/physio-wellbeing-coaching/ These two are woven together in a unique way for each individual.
Who do we see?
The people we commonly see have been diagnosed with persistent or chronic chronic pain. Persistent pain is pain that has lasted 3 months or more. People need to have seen a musculoskeletal physio first and have a diagnosis (the diagnosis may be persistent or chronic pain).
Common persistent pain conditions include: chronic low back pain, arthritis, migraines, headaches, persistent/chronic neck pain, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome (ME), chronic pain, persistent pain, chronic regional pain syndrome (CRPS).
As Ann is also a neurological physiotherapist she also commonly sees people who have functional neurological disorder, stroke, cerebral palsy, parkinsons, multiple sclerosis and many other neurological conditions.
Get in touch
If you would like to find out if pain coaching is right for you get in touch. Ann offers a free 15 minute phone consultation to help you decide if working with her is right for you.